Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Seth Pluta, Staff Reporter

Join us in supporting Shawnee State’s baseball team in the spring. The team will be lacing their cleats up for February 7th and 8th as they take on Missouri Baptist University and Faulkner University in Montgomery, Alabama. The Bears will then travel to Big League Camp to play West Virginia Tech in Lake James, North Carolina. The first home game for the Bears will be the last weekend in February, when they play two double-headers against Concordia University. During this twelve-game span, the Bears will open up with conference play against Cumberland University. Danny McGuire, the junior shortstop from Cleveland discussed his excitement about his expectations for the upcoming season, “I am excited to compete against some of the best teams in the country, and my expectations are having the first winning season for the first time in a very long time.” Danny is going to be a reliable player for the Bears, as he was last year. McGuire was a leader on the field when his bat came to life in the middle of conference play. Sophomore utility player, Collier Wireman, had to comment, “I am most excited about our returning players who are coming back, and our new transfers and freshmen, because we seem to really mesh well all together. Everybody on the team seems to like one another and we all want each other to do well. My expectations are to do better in conference play. We were 6-12 last year in conference play, but we know we can exceed that. It is going to be fun to actually get on the field in the spring and play against everybody.” The baseball team is full of talented

players and the team has a great opportunity to compete in the Mid-South Conference for Shawnee State.