Interesting Courses

Ashley Neice, Staff Writer

It is that time again students! Time to select classes for summer semester and fall semester. Students are taking anywhere from twelve (12) to eighteen (18) credit hours to stay on track to graduate on time. Selecting classes can be stressful for students for a few reasons. Those reasons can be anything from not having the class you need at a certain time to classes over lapping each other, or even not even offering the course you need to stay on track.  Another reason selecting courses is, you may need an extra hour or three to stay on track. You have selected the courses you need, and to fill in the extra slot on your schedule, you want an interesting course.

Some interesting courses being offered during summer semester are as followed:

SM’ 20

• SOCI3311-01 Human Sexuality is being taught by Professor Scott Douthat. The class will be online from May 18 to Jun. 19. This course is a 3 credit hour course.  (CLOSED)
  1. Course description: “An in-depth view of the current status of human sexuality in the U.S. Examines current research; modes of sexual expression and enhancement; physiological, sociological, and psychological basis of human sexuality; sexual variations; and sex ethics.”
  • SOCI4601-51 Serial Murder is being taught by Professor Scott Douthat. The class will be online from May 18 to Jun. 19. This course is a 3 credit hour course. (OPEN)
  1. Course description: “This course will present the techniques necessary to develop a complete bio-psycho-sociological profile regarding various types of violent behavior; however, the primary application shall be serial murder. The rationale for profiling, the analysis of violent crime scenes, the motivations for committing crimes, the role of aggression and criminological theories will be examined. Using case studies and illustrations, the complexity of violence as a social problem and the violent personality will be presented while maintaining a scientific focus and approach.”

Here are some interesting courses being held during the fall semester.

FA’20

• BIOL2200-01 is being taught by Professor Logan Minter. This class will be held from Aug. 24 to Dec. 11 in Massie Hall room 210 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. to 9:20 a.m.
  1. Course description: “This course introduces students to the vocabulary, concepts, presentation, and interpretation of statistics from an applied standpoint with an emphasis placed on biological study. Topics include: descriptive statistics, sampling distributions, experimental design, hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, power analysis and effect size, and inference techniques(including: regression analysis, t-tests, ANOVA, mean separation, Chi-square, non-parametric techniques, and transformations). The course will implement use of analytical computer software as a catalyst for critical thinking.”
  • SOCI3310-01 is being taught by Professor Sean Dunne. This class will be held from Aug. 24 to Dec. 11 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:00-3:20 p.m. in Massie Hall room 436. This course is a 3 credit hour course. (OPEN)
  1. Course description: “Focuses on the socio-cultural dynamics involved in the socialization process. Examines differential expectations, male and female identity formation, sex roles in the family, occupational stereotypes, and the changing nature of sex roles.”

Some of these courses have been taught in the past, some classes are new, or some classes have been restructured.

Professors, if you have a course and/or many courses that you wish to be added into this news story, send in the information to the Chronicle and the course can be added!