Shawnee State University Showing They Care

Shawnee CARES Grant Extended to Students Enrolled in Fall 2020 Semester.

Sarah Huston, Staff Reporter

Back in May, students at Shawnee State University received an email from the Office of the President which informed them about the Shawnee CARES Grant. This program was funded by the federal Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act. This grant was available for all students enrolled in the Spring 2020 semester to apply for and was meant to help cover expenses related to the interruption of campus operations due to the Coronavirus pandemic. The CARES Grant can be used to cover housing, food, technology, course-related, medical, and childcare expenses. Several students received funds from the CARES Grant which helped greatly with expenses since many students were out of work at this time.

On September 21, 2020 Shawnee State University students received an email from the Office Of Financial Aid. This email informed students that the Shawnee CARES Grant has been extended to the students enrolled in the Fall 2020 semester. The grant will provide funds to help cover the same expenses as it did in the spring and applicant requests may be considered up to a maximum of $2,375.

The Financial Aid office said in their email, “All degree-seeking students enrolled in an on-ground program during the Fall 2020 Semester at Shawnee State University (even if your courses were moved to hybrid or online) are eligible to apply for a Shawnee CARES grant.” You can apply for the grant by visiting MySSU and filling out the Shawnee CARES Grant application which can be found under the Financial Aid tab.