SSU Sociology Club

Katelyn Pauley, Staff Reporter

The Sociology Club is a student organization at SSU. This club strives to organize and participate in projects that benefit SSU and the local community. By doing so, the Sociology Club aims to provide students with opportunities to strengthen personal and professional skills.

The current president of the Sociology Club is Regan Osborn. Osborn is a senior at SSU majoring in Sociology and minoring in Criminology. She stated that many members of the club contribute to the Sociology Club’s success. “We have many leadership positions, all of which contribute to the day-to-day functioning of the club,” said Osborn. 

Projects

Osborn explained that the Sociology Club plans to “put together an event to protest the passage of Ohio House Bill 327.” 

This bill would “prohibit teaching, advocating, or promoting divisive concepts,” as outlined on the Ohio House of Representatives website. This means that state agencies, school districts, STEM schools and community schools would be prohibited from teaching, advocating or promoting concepts that are deemed divisive. 

As well as this, the Sociology Club is currently “working on developing under the bridge by the Shawnee State Athletic Center, planning law school visits and working on the Ohio Mascot Project,” said Osborn. 

The Sociology Club designed a Portsmouth Passport to encourage students to go into local businesses. The Portsmouth Passport will allow students to become familiarized and connect with places in the area. After visiting a place listed on the Portsmouth Passport, the student will get their passport stamped for that specific location. Once a student has collected all 21 stamps, the student will be entered into a raffle for a prize. On Oct. 22 at 2 p.m., the club will be hosting a Passport Day. “On ‘Passport Day,’ the Sociology Club is going to lead students around town to help them collect their stamps,” said Osborn. 

The Before I Die wall on the Daehler Building located on Second Street. (Facebook post Shawnee State University)

In the past, the Sociology Club was “instrumental in helping paint the ‘Before I Die’ wall in town,” said Osborn. The Before I Die wall is located on the Daehler Building on Second Street. The wall was originally created by Candy Chang. According to Chang’s website, Chang painted an abandoned house in her New Orleans neighborhood with chalkboard paint and stenciled the prompt, “Before I die I want to ___.” Anyone who passed the wall could reflect on life and death and share their personal goals.

Why Join?

“I joined because it is a great opportunity to get involved on campus and have your voice heard,” said Osborn. She believes that she has been able to strengthen her leadership skills by being able to present ideas and see them through. Osborn explained that the Sociology Club has given her the opportunity to grow personally and professionally. “The Sociology Club has given me the chance to leave my mark on campus. I cannot wait to see what we will do in the future,” said Osborn. 

Meetings

SSU students from all majors are able to join the Sociology Club. Meetings are held the second and fourth Tuesday of every month at 5:30 p.m. The location of the meetings is Lofts Coffee Company and Roastery. 

To learn more about the Sociology Club and stay up to date on the club’s projects, you can follow their social media pages.

Facebook: Shawnee State Sociology Club

Twitter: @ShawneeSoc