Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What issues are most concerning to you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Maynard recognizes impact of youth sports on players’ lives

Anthony Maynard is very familiar with the local community and the impact youth sports can have on an area that has had its fair share of trials and tribulations. The New Boston varsity soccer coach has over 31 years of coaching experience, working with both boys and girls.

“I got into coaching for the love of the game and to help shape the lives of these young men and women,” he said.

Maynard knows the impact a coach can make on a young athlete’s life and that the impact may be even more significant in a community with limited economic opportunities.

“I like to believe every kid I have had the privilege of coaching has become a better person and … learned successful tools to use in the real world,” he said. “I hope to teach everyone a little about the sport and a lot about life.”

That has been Maynard’s motto, and it has served him well over his three-decade coaching career. In a small community like New Boston, continuity matters.

“I think youth sports in New Boston gives the kids the opportunity to live valuable life lessons they may not learn otherwise, as well as build relationships with their peers and coaches that can last a lifetime,” Maynard said.

He recognizes the changes that have occurred at the youth level since he began his coaching career back in the early 1990s.

“Youth sports have changed tremendously over the years in our area from playing facilities to equipment and other resources that are available to coaches and the youth organizations that run the youth sports leagues,” Maynard said. “Technology has changed immensely since I began my coaching career.”

Despite these changes, Maynard has continued to use his experience to create meaningful and rewarding experiences for himself and his players.