Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What issues are most concerning to you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Retro Chill Zone offers affordable fun

Photo courtesy of Shane Marcum
Retro Chill Zone’s arcade floor

Scioto County has been growing in recent years with new businesses popping up left and right. Residents of this area now have more places to find fun, and for those who enjoy video games, Retro Chill Zone is the perfect place to relax and unwind. 

“Retro Chill Zone is the place to vibe,” owner Shane Marcum said. “It’s the place for you to chill and make friends.”

Located in New Boston at 4033 Rhodes Ave., patrons will find this arcade inside the Tri-State Cell Phone Repair building, right across from Tudor’s Biscuit World. For only $5, customers will receive all-day access to a variety of about 300 games. In addition to all-day access, concessions are available for only $1 per item. 

Marcum said that Retro Chill Zone is currently open Wednesday-Friday from 3-10 p.m. and Saturday from 3-11 p.m., but he would like to extend business hours as he picks up business. 

“I had the idea about two years ago,” Marcum said. “I got to thinking that we don’t have anything like [an arcade] anymore.”

While he was logged on to a virtual reality (VR) chat, Marcum stumbled across 77077 Arcade, and seeing a retro-style arcade that reminded him of his childhood inspired him to “bring this VR world to life” in Scioto County. Marcum wanted to provide a space for Scioto Countians to have good, clean fun like he did growing up. Using his love of video games, he did just that by curating a collection of games and game systems for people to enjoy at an affordable price. 

Retro Chill Zone offers “pretty much every game system ever made,” but pool, air hockey, comic books, anime, VR, board games, Dungeons & Dragons and more are also available for patrons. In addition to the games and services normally offered, Retro Chill Zone also hosts events. On Nov. 25 at noon, food trucks will be parked at Retro Chill Zone during a showing of the Ohio State vs Michigan football game. Later that same evening at 9 p.m., there will be a showing of “The Magic Pen” by local film group Subject To Change Entertainment.

Marcum assured that Retro Chill Zone enforces a “no drama or fighting” rule because he wants the space to remain relaxing and safe for everyone.

“We are a safe place for all to come and be happy,” Marcum said.

Seeing patrons happy is the best part of running Retro Chill Zone, according to Marcum. Watching the worries of his customers melt away and their eyes light up “like a kid does on Christmas Day” makes all the effort put in worth it. 

One day soon, Marcum would like to be able to sell games and game systems new and used, but for now he is happy watching locals enjoy the fruits of his labor. Marcum also alluded to having more ideas for expanding Retro Chill Zone in the future, but did not elaborate beyond promising their novelty.

The best way for interested readers to stay up to date with Retro Chill Zone is by following their Facebook page. If patrons are looking to contact Retro Chill Zone, they can reach out via Facebook message or stop by the shop during business hours.

Instagram: @retro_chill_zone

TikTok: @retrochillzone6

Location:

4033 Rhodes Ave. 

New Boston, Ohio 45662.

Business Hours:

Wednesday-Friday from 3-10 p.m.

Saturday from 3-11 p.m.