Coach Mark Trapp Set for Oregon

SSU Squad vs CCU. Photo pulled from SSUbears.com

Jack Sharman-Dodd, Staff Reporter

Coach Trapp has been Assistant Coach for the Shawnee State Bears men’s soccer program for an unbelievable 18 seasons. During his roles of an assistant coach, Trapp is also head of recruiting for the men’s soccer team, to which he has had his most influential international recruiting season this year where he has brought in an impressive 8 international players who have been brought in to add strength and depth to the squad. Trapp has had the privilege of attending showcases in the United States as well as the Netherlands, where he scouted Shawnee’s top goal scorer so far this season Kevin De Lange, as well as the very influential Thomas De Graauw and Mark De Graaf.

Coach Trapp is also the head director of the Shawnee Soccer Goalkeeper Academy, which held camps and spring and summer leagues for the local high school athletes. When speaking to coach Trapp about goalkeeping he said, “I directed a community goalkeeper camp for over 15 years working with ages 10-19 during the summer.”

Coach Trapp has several prestigious awards in his coaching career, with the most recent coming in 2016 where Trapp was awarded the Southern Ohio Conference I Boys Soccer Coach of the Year. He has previously won this fantastic award twice before, in 2001 as well as 2014.

However, at the end of the 2019 season, Coach Trapp will be leaving the Bears and will be moving to Oregon. In Shawnee Bears’ most recent home contest, a 4-3 Overtime win vs Cincinnati Christian University, the Bears honored the efforts of Coach Trapp with some memorable gifts for the long-time assistant to Head Coach Ron Goodson. This made the occasion even more special due to the win.

Overall. The Bears have been spoilt with the coaching ability of Mark Trapp for 18 seasons now and each and every Bear, current and previous, will be sad to see him go, but thankful for all he has put into the program and no doubt that Coach Trapp has improved the Shawnee Men’s Soccer program.