The Political Science Club Wants You to Join!

Ashley Neice, Staff Writer

Have you thought about joining clubs on campus? Are you interested in talking about politics and issues that matter most to you while having some free coffee? Join the political science club today! They meet bi-weekly on Wednesdays at 5:00 P.M. at Coffee at the Lofts located on 842 Gallia St, Portsmouth, OH 45662. This is right across the street from the Vern Riffe Center for the Arts building if you are walking or driving from campus.

The Political Science Club message on Shawnee’s home page states, “The Political Science Club strives to teach members and the public positive values about their relationship with the political environment. It also strives to increase awareness of and participation in politically conscious activities both on and off campus. The students also hope to engage with the greater community, both within and outside the university, in order to ensure continued endeavors toward a more politically aware culture.”

The meetings last about an hour or so. Some of the topics that are discussed in these meetings are as followed:
• Current Events
– Such as State of the Union Address, the Impeachment Trial, or any other breaking news/headlines that matter to each of them members
• Politicians (on all sides)
– Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Liberals, and so on.
• Legislations/laws
– Laws/legislations that are already implemented, the group may talk about how it can be tweaked, or maybe think of a law/legislation that could be written and/or signed into law.
• Campus Events (some that already are created and some that the group wants to hold)
– One event the group has been talking about is holding a debate between College Republicans and College Democrats.

In the political science club, even if you do not want to join the executive board, you will still have a task for the group. This can include attending a Student Government Association (SGA) or writing an article for The Chronicle about the club.

If you or anyone you know is interested, you can contact Dr. Thomas Bunting at [email protected] or the club president Leen Heresh at [email protected] about joining the club. Everyone is welcomed.

What issues are most concerning to you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...