A Job Opportunity For You!

Make connections and get your name out there!

Rachel Clingman, Staff Reporter

Shawnee students, now is the time to meet new people, seek job opportunities and make connections. As far as opportunities being offered, Shawnee State does not leave their students hanging. The university seems to really understand the importance of career fairs and that can be seen through the event calendar for 2021-2022. Before getting into all the amazing opportunities that are being offered, one should know exactly what a career fair is and how it is beneficial.

What is a career fair?

According to Mary Buzzetta and Leigh Eskin in their journal titled Preparing for a Career Fair, “a career fair is an event that give students and employers a chance to meet on another, establish professional relationships, and discuss potential job and/or internship opportunities.” A career fair is an event that allows for a variety employers and companies to meet in one place and have college students walk through, make connections, and find potential places of employment or internship opportunities. Most career fairs are broken up into college majors or specific areas of work, but sometimes there is a big collection of employers different jobs all over the spectrum. Career fairs are open to any one in college, the usual attendance comes from juniors and seniors, but career fairs are open to freshmen through seniors! As a freshman, students will not be given job offers or internship opportunities, most of the time, but they can find out more information about their field of interest. A career fair is a place of learning and opportunity for all college students. 

How is going to a career fair beneficial?

While going to a career fair is a good experience in general, there are multiple other benefits that come from putting yourself out there and becoming face to face with potential employers. The biggest benefit that comes out of career fairs comes from opportunities presented and networking. Students can make connections with a company or potential employer during the career fair and get their name in their minds for the future. Networking is huge through career fairs, making connections and finding an in to your field of study. Another benefit is that students are getting really great practice at face to face interaction and answering harder questions. Career fairs get them prepared for interviews. The final benefit that comes out of career fairs is that students can get statistics or ask about job openings within companies. This gives students the idea of where they could land in the work world after they have graduated college. 

Stop waiting around, get out there and let people know your name! Check out a SSU career/job fair that applies to your field of study and go find your next step! 

Career Services Events 2021-22

The link for the Career Services Events and Registrations for both students and employers is at the bottom of the page.

Internship Fair 

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

11 a.m.-2 p.m.

This is a full virtual event that will take place through Shawnee’s Handshake career platform. This event is provided for students to connect with employers to hear about their internship opportunities. There is no charge to employers for this event. 

Education Career Fairs

Thursday, February 17, 2022

In-person: Morris University Center Ballroom, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.

Virtual: Hosted on Handshake, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.

Both in-person and virtual recruiting opportunities are available for employers. Employer registration is a flat fee of $50 for one or both events. Employers at this event will specifically be recruiting for Teachers, Social Services (History, Political Science, Psychology, Psychology Pre-Art Therapy, Social Work, Sociology), Accountants, Human Resources professionals and more.  

Spring Manufacturing & Technology Career Fair 

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

In-person: Morris University Center Ballroom 11 a.m.-2 p.m.

Virtual: Hosted on Handshake 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.

Both in-person and virtual recruiting opportunities are available for employers. Employer registration is a flat fee of $50 for one or both events. Employers at this event will specifically be recruiting from the following programs: Information Systems Management, Information Security, Engineering Technology programs (Plastics, Computer, Electromechanical, Environmental, Digital Simulation/Gaming, & CADD) and Natural Sciences (Chemistry, Biology, & Geology). 

Business, Professional, & Healthcare Career Fair

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

In-person: Morris University Center Ballroom 4-7 p.m.

Virtual: Hosted on Handshake 4:30-7:30 p.m.

Both in-person and virtual recruiting opportunities are available for employers. Employer registration is a flat fee of $50 for one or both events. Employers at this event will specifically be recruiting from the following programs: Healthcare, Business Management, Accounting, Information Security, Information Systems Management, Marketing, Sports Management, Mathematical Sciences (including our Actuarial Science concentration), English & Humanities, Communications, and Fine, Digital, and Performing Arts. 

Spring Etiquette Dinner

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Morris University Center Conference Room 6:30 p.m.

Learn the art of fine dining for career networking and job interviews. 

Link to events and all registrations for students and employers: https://www.shawnee.edu/career-resources/career-services/events-and-workshops