DEI Book Club offers students a chance to read diverse books

Erin Rice, Editor

One of the many clubs Shawnee State University offers is the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’s book club. This club gives students a chance to read and discuss work that is written by diverse writers from different backgrounds than students may be used to.

The Chronicle recently spoke to Dr. Jennifer Pauley, the chair of the book club (and Shawnee’s associate provost), to discuss the club. It meets once a semester in the Morris University Center, room 214. This semester, the club is scheduled to meet at noon Wednesday, March 15. The organizers encourage participants to bring their lunch and come ready to discuss the books. Faculty, staff and students are all welcome to join.

The club will focus this semester on Ibram X. Kendi’s How to Be an Antiracist and bell hooks’ Ain’t I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism. Both books are available in print and audiobook formats. Dr. Pauley mentioned that everyone is welcome, whether they’ve had a chance to read the books or not.

When asked why this club is important, Dr. Pauley had this to say: “There are so many authors who have spent their entire lives writing about diversity, equity and inclusion, and it is important for those of us committed to such efforts on SSU’s campus to read and discuss these works.”

It is safe to say this club is a valuable asset to Shawnee’s campus life. It allows students to engage in works they might otherwise never explore. It also allows them to sit down and honestly think through those works. So, if you’re interested at all, the DEI Book Club encourages you to attend and check it out!