Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What issues are most concerning to you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

SSU’s Creative Writing Club offers supportive community

Photo courtesy of Jason Roberts
Student leaders of SSU’s Creative Writing Club (from left) Michelle Noel, Jason Roberts and Zach Elliott

For Shawnee State students who love writing and want to improve their writing abilities, there is a club they can join for this very purpose. The Creative Writing Club offers students a place to share their written works and provide constructive feedback to each other. Students can learn more about writing, share their writing or hear examples of creative writing from other students. The club meets in Massie 109 from 4-5 p.m. every other Friday. Its next meeting will be Oct. 13.

“The writing club is a place for anyone who loves writing to come together and be with like-minded people,” said Jason Roberts, president of SSU’s Creative Writing Club. “Whether you want to share your work, learn how to write or just read some short works, it’s a place for all things writing, an outlet where you and your words can be heard and appreciated by others.”

Many writers have faced the difficult struggle of having their work reviewed. This club acts as a safe space for students to get feedback on their writing and to grow as a writer. 

Michelle Noel, the club’s vice president, said that one of the biggest benefits of joining this club is the support system students gain. Noel noted the difficult work and challenging environment that writers face day-to-day and said that the Creative Writing Club offers “creative counsel” and “valuable industry advice.” The main reason that this advice is available is the English faculty members who contribute their time and effort to helping the students at SSU be prepared for the future. 

Noel also discussed some of the potential opportunities and activities available to the students who join this club. Alongside regular meetings, the club also hosts meetings with “special guest speakers who are experts in certain fields.” Club leaders are also developing new programming.

“The E(xecutive) board is currently working on developing a workshop type of meeting in which we’ll offer individualized group or one-on-one peer feedback and discussion for anyone wanting to hone their craft,” Noel said.

Roberts and Zach Elliott, the club’s secretary and treasurer, identified the benefits they see in joining the club.

“You gain connections with other Shawnee writers, along with inspirations for your own works,” Roberts said. “You have a (gentle) push to write since sharing works at a meeting is encouraged. On top of this we will soon be offering workshops so you can learn how to be a better writer.” 

“I think one of the biggest benefits is having other people who are adept at their own forms of writing there as a resource,” Elliott said. “It makes it a lot easier to be able to help people with their writing and see how our own intricacies affect how we write.”

Elliot added: “If anyone is interested or has questions, please feel free to reach out to any of our e-board members. We try our best to answer any questions that people have in regards to our club.”