Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What year are you at SSU?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fourteenth annual Portsmouth Farmers Market ends season

Photo courtesy of Jennifer Kline
Portsmouth Farmers Market banner advertisement for 2023 season

The 2023 Farmers Market had vendors lining up across the Roy Rogers Esplanade and customers bustling about every Saturday from May 20 until Oct. 7. With a variety of options, consumers were given a wide range of goods to pick from.

“There is such a variety of people who come to visit the Market and shop,” said Emily Uldrich, executive director of Main Street Portsmouth in Bloom and manager of the Farmers Market. “You get to know people … and make new friends.”

Magnet from Gail’s Country Crafts booth (Hannah Kline)

From pin cushion dolls to magnets, Gail’s Country Crafts offered Farmers Market patrons a wide array of homemade crafts to choose from. Finding enjoyment in her art, Gail Chandler has been making and selling her items for several years. 

Paw print pot for succulents from Fancy Plants booth (Hannah Kline)

For consumers with an eye for vegetation, Fancy Plants’ Linda Johnson offered help by providing tips from succulents to peppers and their care. With a love for a mixture of plants and crafts, Johnson found herself running out of room in her house. This fueled her decision to set up at the Farmers Market to share her passion for both crafts and plants.

Vendors interested in participating in the Farmers Market in the future can fill out a vendor application at the market site for free. They must make or grow their goods themselves or be employed by the person who produced it. Half-season and full-season setup deals are available.

The Farmers Market is produced by Main Street Portsmouth in Bloom, a community organization devoted to the beautification of the town and its historic preservation. All of the flower baskets hanging along Second Street and Chillicothe Street, plus the flower pots and urns along the floodwall murals and Front Street, are products of MSPIB.

Be on the lookout for the 2024 Farmers Market dates next spring to check out more of these vendors or become one. Uldrich hopes to see future growth in the number of vendors and customers to celebrate the Market’s 15th year.

To keep up with MSPIB events, follow their Facebook page: Main Street Portsmouth in Bloom.