Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

Do you look for news outside of what is shared on social media?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

SSU’s Spanish Club provides a community for speakers and students of Spanish

Spanish+Club+members+Jared+Howard%2C+Zachariah+Wolfe%2C+Scarlett+Caudill%2C+Avery+Storer+and+Alonso+Salinas.+
Photo courtesty of Pablo Salinas
Spanish Club members Jared Howard, Zachariah Wolfe, Scarlett Caudill, Avery Storer and Alonso Salinas.

Shawnee State University students who speak Spanish or want to learn to speak Spanish can find a community in SSU’s Spanish Club. This club meets in Massie 435 each Monday at 12:30 p.m.

“Everyone is welcome,” said Scarlett Caudill, president of the Spanish Club.

The club offers support to students who want to practice Spanish-speaking ability and chances for students to learn more about other cultures. Caudill described the Spanish Club as a safe place for Spanish speakers and those who are just learning the language to hang out together.

“Members are encouraged to speak Spanish while discussing a wide range of topics, playing games and engaging in activities,” she said. 

The club offers opportunities for Shawnee State students to learn more about other cultures and another language, in addition to celebrating their own cultures and languages.

“We participate in events involving the Latinx and/or Hispanic communities in the area, and by doing so, we continue to discover an immense diversity of culture and language,” Caudill said.

Given that U.S. Census data indicates that Spanish is second only to English in terms of household languages spoken in the U.S., the ability to speak Spanish has become a vital skill that SSU students can practice by joining the Spanish Club.

“Considering the current trends in the U.S., the number of Spanish speakers is increasing and even surpassing that of countries whose native language is Spanish,” Caudill said. 

Caudill had much to say about the benefits of joining this student organization.

“Our organization fosters bilingual communication as well as Spanish language acquisition,” she said. “By becoming a member of the Spanish Club, you will be able to speak Spanish with a group of diverse peers, regardless of your proficiency in the language. You will also find new ways to get involved and help out that don’t have to be 1,000 miles away; instead, you might be surprised by the growing Latinx population that can be found in our small town.” 

Caudill has been involved with the club since its beginning.

“When I enrolled at SSU as a freshman, Dr. (Pablo) Salinas asked me if I would help another student create a Spanish conversation group,” she said. “I thought this was an excellent idea and didn’t mind that I had never met the other student. The good thing is, we ended up getting along. Bethany Smith was the inspiration since day one. Thanks to a lot of support, we have finally established the conversation group as an official club.”

There are several events and activities that members of the Spanish Club participate in. They watch Spanish movies together and eat popcorn. They host a “food night” each semester where members “prepare and share dishes that are inspired by a Spanish-speaking country,” according to Caudill. They are even considering doing some karaoke. The club intentionally hosts many fun activities throughout the semester to help its members connect with each other while speaking Spanish. 

“To stay informed, check out our Instagram page @spanishclubssu or on Facebook,” Caudill said.