Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

When passing by a reflective surface, I…..

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Despite blindness, Haar experiences “visions”

Life growing up totally blind
Photo courtesy of Kim Todd
Tara Haar and her dog Truffles

Tara Haar, 43, cannot see the things many of us see. She describes herself as being totally blind, meaning that she cannot see light or shapes at all. Yet she said that God will allow her to see certain things, like an angel who watches over her, and she describes this angel as a yellow or golden color. She sees these in “visions” of sorts, though she cannot see any physical elements.

Haar, who has been blind from birth, is a member of Rubyville Community Church and graduated from Green High School in Franklin Furnace in 2001 at 21 years old.

She stated that growing up sometimes she wished she were not blind because she wanted to do things that her peers would do. Her mother, Kim Todd, describes Haar’s 16th birthday as an example of these challenges. While Haar’s friends were able to get their licenses, she was not able to due to her disability. That being said, there were things that she was able to participate in, such as track and field, which Haar enjoyed as a child. 

Multicolored coaster created by Tara Haar, made from nylon string (Keri Callihan)

Haar also weaves oven mitts and coasters. She makes them out of cotton and nylon, uses a metal loom and weaves them on that. Whatever color she pulls out is what she uses. Not being able to identify colors herself does not stop or discourage her, however. Instead, she has her mom and others tell her what colors she has selected. 

Haar and Todd discussed the misconceptions and concerns some people have when it comes to individuals with disabilities. Haar said that some people mistakenly believe that she is intellectually challenged or “stupid” because of her disability though this is not true. She stated that people usually are quicker to offer help when she is using her red and white cane then when she goes without it, because people make mistaken assumptions about her when she is without it. Todd also stated that something that others forget about children with disabilities is that they are still children.

“She was a child, excited about things,” Todd said. “You do the best you can with what you have, and you don’t cut corners just because they have a disability.” 

Haar said that the best thing others can do to help people with disabilities is to offer help and be aware of their surroundings. Sometimes people do not know how to help someone with a disability, and that is OK, she said, so just be aware and try to make sure you are doing your best to clear a path for them if they need it.

Todd stated the best thing others can do to support parents who have children with disabilities is to support them emotionally. There are going to be difficult things to work through, just like with any other parent, so having someone to lean on emotionally is essential, she said.

View Comments (2)