Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What is your highest score in the Dinosaur Game?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Career Services offers help to students and alumni

Shawnee State University’s Career Services holds many events and activities to help students and alumni on their career paths. Two upcoming events are designed to assist students with their next steps in finding and securing employment.

A résumé workshop is going to be held on Nov. 15 from noon to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Student Success Center Computer Lab room 150. Representatives of Career Services will assist participants with creating a professional résumé and cover letter to use in pursuing “leadership opportunities, graduate school, scholarships, fellowship applications” and more, according to the Career Services website.

“Your résumé is a marketing tool created to market you,” the website notes. “It may be your first contact with an employer, whether applying for an internship, co-op or job opportunity.”

The workshop includes an opportunity to learn more about Hiration, an AI platform that is used to “enhance your resume.”

On Nov. 16, there will be an etiquette dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Morris University Center Ballroom. Cathi Fallon, the founder and director of the Etiquette Institute of Ohio, will facilitate the event. During the dinner, there will be information on proper napkin use, silverware and conversation techniques.

“Come hungry for knowledge (and food),” the office’s website states. “So, put on your best dining attire, grab your appetite for success and let us guide you through the art and etiquette of business dining. Remember, it’s not just about the meal; it’s about mastering the meal that seals the deal.”

Students can reserve a spot at the dinner through Handshake.

Students can also use Handshake to remain informed on workshops and events offered through Career Services.

“Handshake is a fast and powerful career services platform to help you discover new career paths and find jobs and internships, and connect with employers,” according to the Career Services website. “You can also register for career events and schedule appointments with Career Services staff.”

Career Services staff help in other areas such as “comprehensive major and career exploration, establishing and implementing a tailored career development plan, enhancement of professional competencies, encompassing interview techniques, networking strategies and much more.”

SSU Career Services has multiple social media outlets, and students can contact the staff at [email protected] and the career services website. In-person information is also available in Massie Room 124.