Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What issues are most concerning to you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lauders bowls his way to success at Shawnee State University

Parker Lauders Shawnee State bowling photo
Photo courtesy of Shawnee State Communications
Parker Lauders’ Shawnee State bowling photo

College life can be a whirlwind of experiences and opportunities, and for many students, finding their passion can become an integral part of the journey of college. For Parker Lauders, a dedicated college bowler at Shawnee State University, his love for the sport and its community has brought him an unforgettable college experience as well as personal growth.

Lauders’ journey into competitive college bowling began during his sophomore year of high school when he participated in the Ohio Youth Singles Championship. His inaugural tournament turned out to be a turning point in his life as he secured a second-place finish and, subsequently, attracted the attention of college scouts.

“That tournament was a game-changer for me,” Lauder said. “Placing second made me realize that collegiate bowling at Shawnee State University was a viable option.”

Reflecting on his college bowling experience, Lauders highlighted a few unforgettable moments, with the most recent being a fourth-place finish at Lafayette, Indiana, on Oct. 28 and 29.

“Our fourth-place finish this past weekend was a significant achievement,” he said. “We held our ground against some of the top-ranking teams. Despite a rough start on Saturday, we reset mentally on Sunday and proved ourselves.”

Having a consistent, disciplined training routine is crucial for Shawnee State bowlers, and Lauders is no stranger to the hard work.

“My routine varies based on what skills I wish to improve on,” he said. “This summer, it revolved around spare practice and versatile work, as spares are the single most important aspect of college bowling.”

Finding a balance between academic responsibilities and commitment to the bowling team is no easy task, but Lauders has found a strategy that works.

“I typically finish my days with homework/studying at Shawnee State University, which allows me to complete my work after practice,” he said.

College bowlers will always experience challenges, and Lauders has had his share of energy burnouts.

“Tournaments are typically three to four weekends of the month, so going home isn’t an option,” he said. “To battle burnouts, I try to hang out with friends, playing board games to create a home-like vibe.”

The connection among the team members has been instrumental in their success, as Lauders emphasizes.

“The team this year at Shawnee State University is filled with people who share a similar sense of humor and likes, which allows everybody to get along and bond,” he said.

Looking to the future, Lauders aspires to complete his silver-level coaching training.

“This will allow me to coach college-level athletes and help prepare high school athletes for collegiate-level competition,” he said. Beyond bowling, Lauders studies computer engineering and computer science, and he hopes to “design and code electrical systems.”

Lauders’ experience as a college bowler at Shawnee State University has significantly influenced his overall college journey and personal growth. It has provided him with lifelong friendships, unforgettable memories and an unmatched discipline to balance academics and athletics. As he continues to excel on the lanes and in the classroom, Lauders’ journey in college bowling is a testament to the power of dedication.