Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What issues are most concerning to you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Kathy Sue’s Bakery seeks community support, offers fresh baked goods

Photo courtesy of Kathy Sue Allegra
Baked goods at Kathy Sue’s Bakery

Kathy Sue’s Bakery is located on 219 Market St. in Portsmouth and has been owned by Kathy Sue Allegra since June of 2019. The building itself was built in the late 1800s. Nearly everything sold at the bakery is made from scratch, and they serve baked goods like cakes, cookies, muffins and more. The bakery is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.  

Like many other small businesses in the area, Kathy Sue’s Bakery has experienced the struggles associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.  

“When I first bought the bakery, everything was fine,” Allegra said. “Then COVID hit, supply chain issues and now inflation; it’s just hard to maintain a business. Economy is not great in the area, but I love my little bakery, especially during Christmas when it’s all lit up.” 

Unfortunately, Allegra does not feel like her business has been supported by her community in the aftermath of COVID.

“I joined the chamber of commerce for the first couple of years, but they didn’t even do a grand opening for me,” she said. “I have had to do it on my own.” 

Despite the challenges Allegra has experienced, you can still find made-from-scratch goods at Kathy Sue’s Bakery.