Thrift Shops of Portsmouth

Victoria Reffit, Staff Reporter

As a college student money can be tight. However, students may still have a desire to shop. While Portsmouth, Ohio is relatively small, there are several thrift shops students on a budget can enjoy without breaking the bank.

A popular thrift shop in Portsmouth is one many may not know about, “Clare’s Closet.” This store is located in the St. Joseph Adoration Monastery at 2311 Stockham Lane, open only on Friday’s and Saturday’s from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.  This thrift shop has a wide selection and much variety to choose from. At this store, the clothing ranges from infant to adult sizes for both men and women. They have home accessories, shoes, board games and more. The best part are the extremely low prices, almost everything they sell is a dollar or less.

Located a little further away is the thrift store “New To You.” This is another great inexpensive choice. It is located at 2215 Galena Pike, West Portsmouth and only open on Thursday’s and Saturday’s from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Here they mostly have clothing for men and women, as well as a large selection of home accessories. The only downfall to this thrift shop would be the drive. Other than this, the prices are affordable and the workers are kind.

The Salvation Army also has a wide variety of clothing for children and adults, located at 1424 11th Street in Portsmouth, open Monday through Friday 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM and Saturdays 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. The store is smaller in size, so the variety of clothing and merchandise is limited. Not only can this thrift store help save money, but also do much for the community and those in need. Taking your business here has more than one benefit!

Goodwill is another choice for a local thrift store. While this may seem like the obvious spot, there is much potential for good quality finds. They have a large variety of clothing; women’s clothing, children’s clothing, men’s clothing, occasionally having formal dresses and even wedding dresses. They also have accessories such as shoes, hats and jewelry. Not to mention a large variety of books sold at amazing prices.

While these are affordable and unique thrift stores to shop in, they are also great ways to give back to the local community. Each of these stores accept donations of lightly used children and adult clothing as well as home accessories and children’s toys. Next time you’re shopping, remember to shop and donate locally!