Student Stress Out

Lets deal with stress together!

Rachel Clingman, Staff Reporter

Stressed OUT

The semester is coming to an end and students are scrambling to get their last pieces of work perfected and turned in. In the midst of the weather changing, holidays, and most people traveling around for holidays, adding the end of a college semester can leave a student in a state of stress that can sometimes be unbearable. Instead of falling into bad habits and dealing with stress in unhealthy ways, hopefully this article can help you cope with stress this semester. Here are some recommendations that could help you!

Set Goals

Stop trying to look at the entire picture first. Students need to realize that when you take everything you have to do and jam it all into one task, then that is when it starts to get overwhelming. Breaking your task down into smaller portions and setting small attainable goals for each study period or day allows for you as a student to complete your work one step at a time and in a reasonable manner. When students complete a task it can give a small sense of accomplishment, which it should feel that way it is an accomplishment. One visual for completing a task or assignment is to write each assignment on its own sticky note and once the assignment or task is completed you can crumble it up and throw it out!

Maintain Reality 

Maintain reality the entire time you’re working through the semester. Try to focus on one thing at a time and work through that one thing and try not to think about any other task you have to face afterward. Students should try to keep their minds from thinking too far ahead, when you let your mind drift into all of the tasks ahead it causes you to worry. Worrying is a distraction and sometimes we all spend a little too much time worrying, guilty! Think in the now and focus on the reality of the situation, you will get it done! 

Take Breaks

Breaks! One of these best things about studying. According to the Cornell Health team at Cornell University, “research shows that taking purposeful breaks (anywhere from 5-60 minutes) from studying to refresh your brain and body increases your energy, productivity, and ability to focus.” When you take a break do something you enjoy! Listen to your favorite music and dance around the room. Clean your workspace and create a good work area. Go for a walk, a hike, a run. Do some yoga, some meditating, whatever it is, do something that makes you relaxed and happy. Take your breaks and enjoy them, do not worry about anything other than you and your break thing while you’re on your break. 

Sleep

Most college students love to sleep, napping any downtime to close your eyes and relax. But during the semester, especially at the end of the semester, it can sometimes be hard to even close your eyes without all of your assignments running through your mind and keeping you awake. Duke University touches on the importance of sleep and states, “Short-term memory is converted to long-term memory as you sleep. The more REM cycles you experience in a sleep event the better the transfer. Your brain actually clears out toxins while you sleep. Lack of sleep raises cortisol levels and can impede your ability to perform routine tasks. As stress increases in your daily life, it becomes even more important to get at least 6 hours of sleep per night; 8 is better, but at least 6.” Try and catch those z’s even when it feels like the wrong thing to do, make sure you get enough sleep! 

These are just a few of the things to focus on and work on while trying to manage stress. Just know as a student that it is okay to feel overwhelmed and it is okay to not want to do the work sometimes. Talking is always a great way to relieve stress too. Thankfully right here at Shawnee, we have a great counseling staff. Students can call (740) 351-3608 to be connected to a licensed counselor 24/7/365.

Hey students, always remember to put yourself first and that you’ve got this!