Bears on a Mission

Shawnee State University Women’s Cross Country Team. Photo from SSUbears.com

Trent Patterson, Staff Reporter

Hibernation season has passed, and Shawnee State’s Women’s Cross-Country Team is hungry to compete for the season. This season will be one to remember, as the Lady Bears were ranked 16th in the Initial Edition NAIA Women’s Cross-Country Poll in August.

The team has 12 talented and determined runners to kick off the new season. Members of the team include Jessica Price (Senior), Jozi Brown (Sophomore) and Jessica Cook (Sophomore). Price completed with a time of 19:23, Brown with a time of 20:30, and Cook with a time of 18:53. These are outstanding times for these ladies, having only a few years of experience running for Shawnee State University. They drive to put in miles every week despite rain, snow, sleet, or shine. Junior Jessica Price had advice for new runners on the team for the upcoming season, “Listen to your body. Some days are better than others, so you should think about what you need to get out of a run. It is completely ok to go slow and rest. You don’t have to run fast every day to be good. ” Jessica Cook shared some goals she has set for the season, “[To] break my PR [personal record] and qualify as an individual for nationals. [To receive] Team Goal Top Ten at nationals and develop pack running.”

This is a big season for Shawnee State’s Women’s Cross-Country team. The members of the team are excited and have set the bar high for themselves. In a few weeks, new polls will be released.

Shawnee State’s Women’s Cross-Country team received 313 points in the voting polls, landing them in 16th place. Last season, Shawnee State’s Men and Women Cross Country teams won the NAIA Mid-South Conference. The women’s team being crowned conference champions gives them another number to add to their nine consecutive winning streak.

Shawnee State has much to look forward to as the season approaches. To start off the season, the Lady Bears will be racing in Lansing, Michigan at the Michigan State Spartan Invitational. With the goals and hearts of champions, it will be no problem for the Women’s Cross-Country team to have yet another amazing season. Go Bears!