Communication major coming to Shawnee

Josh Amato, Staff Reporter

A new communication major will be offered at Shawnee State University (SSU) starting fall semester of 2023. The new program was formally approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education earlier this fall.

“According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in media and communication occupations is projected to grow 14 percent from 2020 to 2030, so job prospects for new graduates are excellent,” said Professor Ann Linden, chair of the English and humanities department, where the new major will be housed.

Common career paths associated with communication degrees include publishing, journalism, social media management, technical writing, grant writing and public relations.

Communication is something that touches almost every field one could potentially pursue. With the rise of social media, almost all companies nowadays have a social media account, whether it is a grocery store chain or a hair salon. Employers need workers with the necessary skills to communicate effectively with their target demographic. Effective communication is coveted and sought after within the business world as it allows workers to work more efficiently and develop ideas, thoughts, strategies and professional relationships more cohesively.

The degree  includes 30 hours of core classes in journalism, strategic communication, presentation skills, interpersonal communication and organizational communication. Students will be introduced to key concepts and skills associated with both mass communication and applied communication. They may then choose elective communication courses (15 hours) that allow them to expand their study of particular areas such as social media management, public relations, health communication, or grant writing. The degree also allows for more than 30 hours of general elective hours so that students may pursue a minor in a relevant field.

If you are interested in this new major or would like to learn more, contact Linden at [email protected] or Dr. Christy Zempter at [email protected].