Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Adam’s Flying Pig coffee shop inclusive to workers with disabilities 

The+owners+of+Adams+Flying+Pig%2C+%28from+left%29+Tammy+Salmons%2C+Adam+Salmons+and+Ryan+Salmons%2C+celebrated+the+coffee+shops+third+anniversary+on+Sept.++2%2C+2023.+
Photo courtesy of Adam’s Flying Pig
The owners of Adam’s Flying Pig, (from left) Tammy Salmons, Adam Salmons and Ryan Salmons, celebrated the coffee shop’s third anniversary on Sept. 2, 2023.

Tammy Salmons, who owns Adam’s Flying Pig coffee shop in Wheelersburg with her husband Ryan Salmons and son Adam Salmons, values hiring employees with disabilities.

The Salmonses have met many families that include children with disabilities through their involvement with organizations like the Autism Project of Southern Ohio (support group) and Challenger League baseball. Tammy said these interactions inspired her dream to provide employment to her son Adam and other young people with disabilities. She and

Adam’s Flying Pig hosted an Autism Awareness Month sponsorship in April 2023. Customers could buy a puzzle piece, and all proceeds went to the Autism Project of Southern Ohio. (Photo courtesy of Justin Sharpe Photography)

her son bonded over coffee and coffee shops, and the idea of Adam’s Flying Pig was born from that.

The shop currently offers some seasonal favorites, including pumpkin spice latte, apple chai latte and chai tea. Their most popular drink is the Adam’s Flying Pig Mocha, which is a white chocolate mocha latte. They also have a frozen hot chocolate for non-coffee drinkers.

Tammy believes that just as coffee has a purpose, so do all people.

“If it wasn’t for Adam, we would never have the coffee shop,” she said.

She described the shop as a place of community not only for her family, but for her customers. The Salmonses seek to provide good coffee for their customers to enjoy. Tammy said that SSU students are often among the customers who visit and enjoy the coffee shop, working on homework and spending time with friends.

“Entertainment is provided for different events on different occasions,” Tammy said.

Tammy and her family also support events and local organizations through the shop. During Autism Awareness month, vendors, workshops and related organizations come into the shop to raise awareness about autism. Adam’s Flying Pig has also supported Challenger League baseball, local soccer teams and local schools by providing money for uniforms, fundraising help and other resources.

Photo courtesy of Adam’s Flying Pig

For the recent River Days pageant, the shop offered drink creations with proceeds going to the contestants in the pageant. Adam’s Flying Pig also offers discounts for SSU and Ohio University students and special offers for Veterans Day and other special occasions.

The Salmonses are seeking new employees for the shop. Job applications are available at Adam’s Flying Pig, 9107 B Ohio River Road in Wheelersburg, where they can be completed and submitted in person.

Tammy asks that potential employees be flexible, although she will work to create a schedule that works for both the shop and the applicant. She is looking for someone to work morning and evenings.

The Salmonses value hard work and hire on a trial basis for 90 days to determine if the job is right for the individual and for the company.

The shop’s hours are Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. You can contact Adam’s Flying Pig via Facebook or by phone at 740-876-4478.