Men’s Soccer Conference Preview

2019-2020 Men’s Soccer Team. Photo pulled from SSUbears.com

Jack Sharman-Dodd, Staff Reporter

Shawnee’s Men’s soccer team are gearing up for their run of conference games in less than two weeks. The bears have had an impressive performance leading up to the conference games, winning the last seven out of eight games. This gives them a record of 7-3.

The Bears had a rocky start to the season with a record of 0-2, however this was expected due to recruiting at the beginning of the season. The soccer team needed time to connect and focus before having this great turnout.

The Bears are to compete in the NAIA Mid-South Conference; considered one of the hardest conferences to compete in. In previous years, the Bears have not won a single conference game. However, after speaking to Coach Trapp, he sounds positive and excited to face off teams in the conference to prove the Bears belong in the top rankings of the conference.

Trapp proclaims, “With not one team in the Mid-South Conference below .500 and no conference record of 42-18, I say this conference is without a doubt one of the toughest NAIA conferences in the nation. We have to be ready for each and every game in all 11 positions, giving us a total team effort for 90 minutes.” It is evident Trapp does his research to gear up the players for the upcoming conference. Coach Trapp added, “We have been working hard all season and remain focused on proving a point to the conference that we are building a good, solid project at Shawnee.”

The men’s soccer team are to kick off the conference games at Campbellsville; where the Bears were defeated in a hard-fought match last season. The next game to follow will be hosted by the nationally ranked college, Lindsey Wilson. Shawnee will host Lindsey Wilson on October 8th at home on the Shawnee Turf at 7:00 PM. It is always exciting watching the Bears and don’t forget: Shawnee students attend for free!