Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

Do you look for news outside of what is shared on social media?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Illuminate Campus Ministry provides faith-based community for SSU students

Getting to know some of our student organizations
Kendall Riley
Members of Illuminate

Illuminate Campus Ministry is one of Shawnee State University’s few Christian student organizations dedicated to sharing God’s love and building a healthy community. This organization meets at 8 p.m. every Tuesday during the semester in the Flohr Lecture Hall for a Bible study and worship service, as well as games, fellowship and prayer. Illuminate Campus Ministry is a student organization known for promoting friendship and fellowship. 

According to SSU student and Illuminate member Isaiah McQuade, the organization “is a Christ-centered ministry based on providing people with love for Jesus, and people who are looking for Jesus, a form of fellowship and friendship that is healthy and will build great relationships, and in those relationships, worship God the whole way through.”

Ashley Smith, another student member of Illuminate, said that the group has connected her to a “Christ-filled community and life-long friends.” She added that she wasn’t sure how connected she would be to people on campus if Jesus did not bring her to Illuminate. Alexis Chapman added that being involved in Illuminate allowed her to grow out of her shell and “create meaningful connections and memories” with people. 

Jacob Bowe, another SSU student who has been involved with Illuminate for several years, called the organization a safe space for him to grow in his relationship with God and make friends who have helped him grow spiritually, emotionally and physically. He cited the social opportunities he has found through Illuminate, such as playing basketball, football and disc golf together with friends. He also has enjoyed bigger opportunities offered through the organization, including the chance to go on a mission trip to Honduras. 

Brooklyn McQuade has enjoyed weekend trips to Cumberland Falls in Kentucky and Gatlinburg in Tennessee to join conferences, all as part of her participation in Illuminate. She also has had the opportunity to hike in the Grand Canyon and some other national parks.

The club also facilitates outreach to homeless individuals, hosts parties and offers many other ways to get involved. McQuade said that Illuminate “helps you make some great friends” and gives students “a break away from school and work to focus on what’s most important.” 

The general consensus from my interviews is that this organization is a good way to make friends, grow in your relationship with God and have access to a lot of different social activities. Bowe added that Illuminate welcomes anyone who wants to join the community and that “there is not a single church or denomination of churches that is over Illuminate,” making it a truly student-led ministry that is welcoming to everyone.

“It’s refreshing being in an environment where I can look around and see students who grew up in the Church of Christ, like me, worshiping Jesus with students that I know are Catholic, Methodist, Baptist and are from so many other backgrounds,” Bowe said. He mentioned that students who don’t practice Christianity have occasionally come and been welcomed as well, noting that the Illuminate community is dedicated to sharing God’s love and kindness with others.