Chronicle

The Student News Site of Shawnee State University

Chronicle

Chronicle

Polls

Are you involved with SSU's Greek Life?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Illuminate hosts annual Halloween party

Photo courtesy of Tucker Kirk
Some of the students who attended Illuminate’s Halloween party

Members of Illuminate, a student organization at SSU, hosted their annual Halloween party on Tuesday, Oct. 31, at Innermission Campus Ministry. There were a lot of people and activities at the party. There were plenty of snacks, a foosball table, a pool table, spooky music to enjoy and a group of students playing card games. 

Plenty of people got into the spirit of Halloween and dressed up for the occasion, but some last-minute planners had to get creative.

“Sadly, I didn’t have time to prepare a costume, so I’m just a broke college student,” Sydney Reed said.

This seemed to be very much within the spirit of students’ costumes. They either went all out or scrambled last minute, but, either way, all participants appeared to be having fun with friends. 

Before the party, Reed said that the thing she was most excited for was “probably just the community, getting together and fellowship.” Throughout the night, many students spent time together getting to know each other and having fun.

Nella Stansberry added that she was most excited “just to see everyone’s costumes” and “just to maybe see some new faces here and maybe just fellowship with one another and, yeah, just have a good time.” 

“I’m Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite,” she said of her costume. Stansberry explained that she was part of a group dressed as characters from that movie. The girls who chose this group costume stayed in character in the pictures they took throughout the night, bringing some amusement to the people around them. 

“I came over at the right time, but we just found some old decorations from previous years and we kind of just put our minds together and just had fun with it and just put things up that we thought that would be fun,” Stansberry said. “And so we kind of fit the mood, too. We darkened the lights and put fun Halloween lights in the room.” 

Patricia Sparks said that her “favorite part of the Halloween party was seeing everyone’s costumes and hanging out with friends.” She added that one benefit of going to the Halloween party is that “you get to meet new people that may not always go to Illuminate or hang out at Innermission.” 

“Going to the Halloween party was just an amazing time for me because it allowed me to become closer with friends, and I got to meet some new people as well,” Libby Judge said. 

Judge added that her “favorite costume was definitely Lizzy and Johnny’s birthday girl and piñata. It made it so much better that it was homemade!” Sparks said that her favorite costume was “Jacob Bowe dressing up as Ken from Barbie.”